Fine Texture, Medium Porosity, Medium Density Hair
You have fine texture, medium porosity, medium density hair.
Your fine strands cover your head fairly well but are prone to tangling and breakage. Fine hair lacks the innermost layer of the hair cuticle (the medulla), so it is not as strong as normal or coarse textured hair. It may also have difficulty holding a style. Your medium porosity hair poses no issues as it both accepts and retains water equally well and makes your strands somewhat resistant to damage. But, take precautions not to mistreat it with excessive heat or mishandling. Medium density hair is neither thick or thin. Having this hair type allows you to experiment with a wide variety of products, and styles depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
- Heat: Avoid direct heat as fine hair is more vulnerable to breakage. When blow drying always use a heat protectant.
- Cold: Use cold water rinses to close your cuticles.
- Moisture retention – Try a pre-poo with your favourite oil(s) to help retain moisture.
Your Curlprint™ Regimen:
Cleanse and Clarify
- Wash hair in sections (4-6 loose twists) to avoid over manipulation and breakage.
- Use a mild, sulfate-free shampoo/cleanser to avoid stripping hair of its natural moisture.
- If you’re looking to clarify and remove product build-up, clays area a great option, as they gently cleanse while removing toxins.
- Deep condition once a week.
- Be sure to use a deep conditioner and a leave-in with lots of slip and always detangle gently from ends to roots.
- Medium porosity hair contains the right amount of protein, so don’t over do it with protein treatments. Try an occasional protein treatment or use a deep conditioner with protein in it to help retain your hair structure.
- Use water-based leave-ins and moisturizers. Products that don’t have water will not be effective at moisturizing your hair.
- Use oils to help seal and retain moisture while preventing breakage. Do this step as a often as needed. Look for oils such as sweet almond, olive, argan, and jojoba oil.
- To lock moisture in, use the LOC (Liquid, Oil, Cream,) method, that means layering with a leave-in and an oil followed by a cream.
- Use protective styles regularly to reduce stress on fine, fragile hair.
- Experiment with heavier or lighter creams, styling products, and oils depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
- When not in a protective style, play up the versatility of your hair with a variety of styles. Wash n' gos will let your natural texture shine through, while twist/braid outs will give your hair structure and volume.
With medium porosity hair, you can choose from unlimited products, as your hair accepts and retains moisture well. However, we recommended a selection of products to help you manage your fine texture.
Click on the button below to find product recommendations for your Curlprint™
Shop now and save 10%. Use code CURLPRINT10 at checkout.
*Disclaimer: The Curlprint™ quiz and its corresponding summaries are not meant to replace the advice of your haircare professional. This survey was developed to enhance your haircare knowledge and provide you with information and tips that may help you with your daily haircare routine and support healthy hair maintenance.
© Roots to Curls, June 2015. All rights reserved. No part of this survey may be reproduced or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, photocopying or otherwise without prior written permission of the publishers.