Medium Texture, Medium Porosity, Low Density Hair
Your thin, medium textured hair is moderately strong, elastic and pliable, and can hold styles fairly well. Medium textured hair is the most common hair type. It is stronger than fine hair because it has more protein structure but not as strong as coarse hair. Because medium textured hair is somewhat resistant to damage, it is easier to maintain length. While your medium porosity hair poses no issues, as it both accepts and retains water equally well, take precautions not to damage it with excessive heat or mistreatment. Due to the low density or thinness of your hair, more of your scalp is visible. As a result, you'll want to incorporate styles and products that enhance your volume.
- Heat: When blow drying always use a heat protectant.
- Cold: Use cold water rinses to close your cuticles.
- Moisture retention – Try a pre-poo with your favourite oil(s) to help retain moisture.
Your Curlprint™ Regimen:
Cleanse and Clarify
- Wash hair in sections (4-6 loose twists) so that it is easier to work with.
- Use a mild, sulfate-free shampoo/cleanser to avoid stripping hair of its natural moisture.
- If you’re looking to clarify and remove product build-up, clays area a great option, as they gently cleanse while removing toxins.
- To avoid stripping hair of essential oils and moisture try co-washing mid-week (if needed), or even every other week.
- Deep condition once a week.
- Be sure to use a deep conditioner and a leave-in with lots of slip and always detangle gently from ends to roots.
- Medium porosity hair contains the right amount of protein, so don't over do it with protein treatments. Try an occasional protein treatment or use a deep conditioner with protein in it to help retain your hair structure.
- Use water-based leave-ins and moisturizers. Products that don’t have water will not be effective at moisturizing your hair.
- Use oils to help seal and retain moisture while preventing breakage. Do this step as a often as needed. Look for oils such as sweet almond, olive, argan, and jojoba oil.
- To lock moisture in, use the LOC (Liquid, Oil, Cream,) method, that means layering with a leave-in and an oil followed by a cream.
- Create the illusion of volume with styles that won’t leave your scalp exposed (e.g., wash n’ go’s, chunky twist outs or braid outs, afros, etc.).
Medium texture, medium porosity hair poses no specific concerns as it is fairly elastic and strong. Enjoy and experiment with a wide range of natural haircare products to help you maintain the health of your hair.
Click on the button below to see the selection of products we carry.
Shop now and save 10%. Use code CURLPRINT10 at checkout.
*Disclaimer: The Curlprint™ quiz and its corresponding summaries are not meant to replace the advice of your haircare professional. This survey was developed to enhance your haircare knowledge and provide you with information and tips that may help you with your daily haircare routine and support healthy hair maintenance.
© Roots to Curls, June 2015. All rights reserved. No part of this survey may be reproduced or transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, photocopying or otherwise without prior written permission of the publishers.